Monday, June 14, 2010

LOVE this Poem

Taken from the blog of a Montessori school (Sweetwater Bay Montessori Preschool), I had to post this here because I know I will want to reference in the future.




Today I did my math and science.
I toasted bread, halved and quartered, counted, measured, and used my eyes, ears and hands.
I added and subtracted on the way.
I used magnets, blocks and memory tray.
I learned about a rainbow and how to weigh.
So please don't say -

"ANYTHING IN YOUR BAG TODAY?"

You see, I'm sharing as I play, to learn to listen and speak clearly when I talk
to wait my turn and when inside to walk.
To put my words into a phrase, to find my name and write it down.
To do it with a smile and not to frown, to put my pasting brush away.
So please don't say -

"ANYTHING IN YOUR BAG TODAY?"

I learned about a snail and a worm.
Remembered how to take my turn.
Helped a friend when he was stuck.
Learned that water runs off a duck.
Looked at words from left to right.
Agreed to differ, not to fight.
So please don't say -

"DID YOU ONLY PLAY TODAY?"

Yes, I played the whole day through.
I played to learn the things I do,
I speak a problem, find a clue and work out for myself just what to do.
My teachers set the scene, and stay near-by to help me when I really try.
They are there to pose the problems, and to help me think.
I hope they will keep me floating and never let me sink. All of this is in my head and not in my bag.
It makes me sad to hear you say -

"HAVEN'T YOU DONE ANYTHING TODAY?"

When you attended your meeting today and do your work I will remember not to say to you -

"WHAT DID YOU DO?"


- author unknown

6 comments:

Nathalie said...

Beautiful, simple, tru, as children life should always be ...

Albert Lázaro-Tinaut said...

Hi, Melissa!
Your blog is very interesting. I have make my studies with the system of Maria Montessori, and I am happy!
Best regards from Barcelona, Spain.

Anna Patricia said...

Hi Melissa! I am an AMI Montessori teacher and for our Back to School night, we showed a video clip to the parents... each child had to say a line from this poem. All parents had fun watching it! It was a cute presentation and I think it was an effective way to get the message across to our new parents.

-Miss Patricia

Esha said...

hello,
very nice blog, and thanks for suggestion these poem,I am a preschool teacher,and all Montessori blogs keep me going.I really appriciate your contribution.

Esha

Anu Rao said...

Love your blog. Just founded a Montessori school in Hyderabad, India. Would like to share this poem on our FB page.

Anthea Montessori House of Children

Unknown said...

Nice post.Parents always prefer best for their child and Cradle2crayons provides best montessori training in Nagpur. For more detail contact 7304252216.