Wednesday, January 2, 2008

First Post!

All of my best ideas come either in the middle of the night, when I should be asleep, while I'm in the shower, or while I'm brushing my teeth. The trouble is that many of these same ideas never make it past the idea stage.

Awake at 3:30 am after New Year's Day finishing up plans for circle times centered around a thematic unit for my Primary Class on literature, I am frustrated by the apparent lack of a viable Montessori teachers forum, and really any Montessori activities on special themes posted anywhere. We really ought to share these things! There are so many pages with printable cutesy, cartoony coloring sheets and little songs about everything from washing your hands to Purim, and nothing that really works perfectly well in a Montessori environment. How can the internet be missing something so huge!?

Thanks to my frustration, I have decided to start a blog just for the Montessorian in me. Here I will post the ideas I think up, and how they went once implemented. I will post joys, surprises, successes, and terrible failures in the classroom, as well as anything the kids say or do that strikes me as particularly fun and/or interesting on any give day. I will happily welcome your thoughts and input, and do hope to dialog with many other Montessori teachers eventually.

When we get back to school next week, I will start the literature unit, and create a lot of fun thematic works in all of the classroom areas to go along with it. I will take photos and post the successes and blunders of these new lessons for your enjoyment.

1 comment:

Lindart said...

Hi Melissa,

I am so glad you are doing a blog, I love looking at Montessori blogs. It really helps some days! I'm assuming you are a 6-9 teacher? I am a casa teacher, but would also love new ideas and wish there were more Montessori resources to go to.